Homemade bread not only makes the house smell amazing but it tastes amazing! This is a recipe that is easy to follow, super simple and is low maintenance. Ok, lets get started:
You will need
- 1 egg plus enough warm water to equal 1 and 1/3 cups
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar (Could use honey instead, but the dough will be more sticky)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups bread flour (I used half organic white bread flour and half fresh ground hard white winter wheat. You could use 100% whole wheat, but the dough will be heavier.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast/bread machine yeast or 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Blend all ingredients in a bowl except flour and mix. Add flour one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. When dough is stiff enough to mix by hand, dump onto a well-floured counter and knead for 5-10 minutes.
SIDE NOTE: If you are using active dry yeast, add the yeast to the warm water and allow it to warm and dissolve following directions on yeast package before adding the rest of the ingredients.
ANOTHER SIDE NOTE: If using a mixer or bread machine – Place all ingredients in mixer or bread machine and mix for 6-8 minutes, until ingredients are well mixed and gluten has had a chance to develop.
- Cover and let rise for 20 minutes. Punch down dough, let rise until double in size
- Grease bread tins with oil
- Divide dough into desired number of buns and loaves and shape accordingly. Remember, the bread will rise again and double in size, so small buns will get much larger.
- Cover with a clean dish cloth and place in a warm location until it doubles in size.
- Once dough has doubled in size again they are now ready to be placed in the oven. about 15 minutes on 180C for buns and about 30 minutes on 180C for the bread loaves.