This is super yummy, a great snack or an amazing starter for a meal. This recipe can also be made in advance and chilled, so if you are expecting guests and want to prepare before hand you can!
You will need:
- 1 garlic clove, quartered
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt (I like rock salt)
- 2 cups of peas peas (fresh or frozen it’s up to you)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped preserved lemon peel (fresh lemon peel is good too)
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Chilli Flakes (or you could use cayenne pepper but this is optional I just like the flavour it gives it)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices country-style bread or ciabatta (you can put this on any type of bread!)
Here’s how to make it:
Combine garlic, parsley, 1 tablespoon oil, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan.
Add peas and cook over medium heat, until peas are tender (this should take about 5 minutes for fresh peas or about 2 minutes for frozen)
Once cooked drain the garlic parsley pea mixture and make sure you keep the liquid – we will use the liquid later.
Now the pea mixture goes to a food processor and blitz until a coarse paste forms.
Transfer to a medium bowl; mix in chives, 1/2 tablespoon lemon peel, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/4 tsp. chilli, and 2 tablespoons oil.
Stir in reserved cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls until mixture is still thick but spreadable.
Season pea mash with salt, black pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired.
Drizzle toast with oil; top with pea mash, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon preserved lemon peel and more chilli if you desire.
- Now enjoy!