Nutella is a household favourite across Australia and here is the recipe so you can make your very own. And for those with kids old enough to help in the kitchen it is a heap of fun and they will love Nutella even more (if it is possible!).
You will need:
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 12 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mild vegetable oil, such as canola
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, more or less depending upon your preference
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for about 12 minutes. By this time they should have turned a little brown and their skins will be coming away.
- Wrap them in a kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove as much loose skin as possible. Don’t worry if you can’t remove the skin completely. After this let the nuts cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a saucepan over gently simmering water or in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Let cool completely.
- In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts until they form a paste. Add the oil, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt and continue processing until the mixture is as smooth as possible. Add the melted chocolate, blend well.
- Strain the mixture to remove any chunks of hazelnut that remain.
- Your Homemade Nutella will be thin and somewhat runny but it will thicken as it cools.
- Put your homemade Nutella into a jar or other resealable container and let it cool to room temperature.
- Cover the jar/container after the Nutella has cooled
- This will keep for up to 2 weeks if in a cupboard.