This is a light, healthy, fresh, easy meal the whole family will love. The kids get to eat with their hands and I can guarantee they will be asking for more. If you don’t have all the ingredients in the cupboard then get creative, cooking is about experimenting.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
(plus 15 minutes marinating time)
You will need:
- 12 bamboo skewers (soak in water for 15 minutes beforehand)
- 3 (about 600g) chicken breast fillets (or beef, this works well with either)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin (Only if you have it in the cupboard otherwise don’t worry)
- ½ tsp ground turmeric (Only if you have it in the cupboard otherwise don’t worry)
- 2 tbs finely chopped palm sugar (regular sugar is fine)
- ½ cup (80g) toasted peanuts, finely chopped (Don’t tell anyone but I use crunchy peanut butter instead)
- 1 x 270ml can coconut milk
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- Steamed rice, to serve
1. Cut Chicken
Cut through each chicken breast crossways. Do this lengthways into thirds and place in a large glass or ceramic bowl.
2. Marinate Chicken
Combine the lemongrass, ginger, soy sauce, coriander, cumin and turmeric and 2 teaspoons of the palm sugar in a small bowl. Add half the paste to the chicken; toss to coat and set aside for 15 minutes to develop the flavours.
3. Make Satay Sauce
While the chicken is marinating place the remaining paste,peanuts and coconut milk in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook,stirring, for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens and is heated through. Add the lime juice, fish sauce and remaining sugar and stir to combine. Remember to taste and season you can add a little of anything you think may do the trick.
Heat the barbecue or char-grill pan on medium. Thread the chicken evenly among pre-soaked skewers. Cook on preheated grill for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from heat.
5. Serve and Enjoy
Serve your skewers with steamed rice or a simple cucumber salad and Enjoy!